Skip to main content
Licenses & Permits

Land Disturbing Activities within Water Management Districts

(Use Permit, Special Use Permit, Variance)

INITIAL CONTACT:  Building Safety Division, 210 City Hall, 411 W. 1st St., Duluth  MN  55802.

TELEPHONE NUMBER:  (218) 730-5300.

FEES:  See Fee Schedule.

PERMITS:  These permits (use and special use and variances) are issued respecting the management of three basic areas:

I.   Flood plains.

II.  Shore lands.

III.  Wetlands.

Use Permit - must be obtained for any work of any kind within any of the three areas mentioned above. These are issued by the Building Safety Division.

Special Use Permit - Is issued for work whose nature is contrary to the permitted uses allowed by a use permit.  (Exactly which activities constitute "special uses" depends on descriptions in the City Code (Chapter 51).  All special use permits are subject to approval by the city's planning commission and subsequent approval by other departments depending on the nature and specifics of the activity.  The procedure will require a minimum of one month for a ruling.

Variance - Application for affirmative relief from the strict provisions regulating water management districts are initiated by the building safety division. The city planning commission then will hear and grant or deny requests for water management district variances.  This procedure will require a minimum of one month for a ruling.

Building Safety Division
City Clerk
City Hall, Room 210
411 West First Street
Duluth, MN 55802
(218) 730-5300



City of Duluth, 411 West First Street, Duluth, Minnesota 55802
©2020 City of Duluth, Minnesota. All Rights Reserved | Disclaimers | Contact the City | Sitemap
Follow the City of Duluth City Facebook Page City's Twitter Feed City Youtube Channel